Welcome to our very first extra special collaboration! Joining Leigh and Gretchen this episode are our friends over at Queer as Fact, a queer history podcast from Australia. Our topic of choice? Queer slang! Join us as we discuss lavender linguistics, the history of queer slang in Australian penal colonies, and our favorite slang words, both American and Australian! So brush off your oysters, pitch your tents for camp, sharpen up your Gillette blades, and let’s have a kiki with Queer as Fact!
Queer as Fact Links
If you want to learn more about lavender linguistics and queer slang, check out our full list of sources and further reading below!
- 20 Lesbian Slang Terms You’ve Never Heard Before
- 51 Gay Slang Phrases You’ve Never Heard Before
- The 64 Best Slang Words For Vagina
- Every Single Slang Word For Penis You Need To Know
- A Personal HIstory of the T Word (and some more general reflections on language and activism) by Julia Serano
- My Adventures Using Tinder as a Trans Woman
- Recently Unearthed 1964 Antigay Pamphlet is the Most Homoerotic Thing Ever
Books and Print Articles:
- A Dic(k)tionary of Gay Slang by H. Max
- Green’s Dictorionary of Slang by Jonathon Green
- The Alyson Almanac by Alyson Publications